A Quilted Coat in the Grand Canyon

A southwesternish coat in the southwest.

The quilted coat is done. Well, it is almost done. I still have to finish the inside, but you don’t see it when I am wearing it. I took it on vacation with us to the Grand Canyon. It only seemed appropriate. I am glad I did too. At 8,000 feet above sea level it was much cooler than I had planned, so this coat kept me warm each morning.

I learned a lot about making this coat. The first thing I learned is that making clothes is more difficult for me than making quilts. But I enjoyed the challenge. As mentioned in my previous post, the second thing I learned is that my Little Brother Sewing Machine (Bubba) has a limit and 4 layers of fabric, and two layers of batting almost exceed that limit. Hence the need to purchase a larger and more powerful machine. The third thing I learned is to really read pattern directions multiple times and don’t just rely on the you-tube tutorials. Luckily I had enough fabric when I boo-booed that I could keep going.

I made this jacket part of the #FreeSpiritCoatStory challenge sponsored by FreeSpirit Fabrics. Quilted coats are trending in the fashion world and the world of quilting. Although it seems to be coming back in style instead of being a new concept from what I have heard from quilters who are a little older than myself.

I chose to participate because I wanted to challenge myself. I know how to make patchwork quilts of various designs. I have made pillowcases, table runners, baby quilts, wall hangings, and bed quilts. I wanted to try something new that would challenge my skills, and it certainly did.

I chose the fabrics on a whim, really. As part of the challenge, you had to use Free Spirit Fabrics from current lines. I chose Tula Pink fabrics. I used an ombre print from her Daydreamer Line. I just loved the sun, moon, and birds on it. It reminded me of beautiful sunrises and sunsets. I then used some Tula Pink solids for the Lonestar. I chose a turquoise color for the lining because every good southwestern style piece of clothing needs some turquoise. You also had to use QuiltSmart interfacing made for jackets. Quiltsmart interfacing helps you sew together more complicated patterns with ease. I chose the Little Lonestar coat interfacing. Coming from a farm and loving horses, it felt more like me. You also had to use the Tamarack Jacket Pattern by Grainline Studios. I chose the option to add a hood because I love hooded jackets. It gave the coat a more modern look.

I chose to applique the lone stars on the quilted jacket pieces because I wanted them in specific places. Luckily I am a fluffier human, so I could get a full Lonestar on the back without having to modify the pattern or cutting off the points. Fluffiness for the win!!!

The front perplexed me. I tried out doing different layouts to see which worked the best. I ended up on half stars on top and bottom of the front.

The hardest thing about putting the jacket together was the bulk. It was hard to get all the layers through my machine. My husband thought I was getting on to the kids and the cats several times as I was sewing because I kept saying things like, “Behave yourself and stop that.” I tried to get the jacket to behave while going through the machine. I also might have said a few curse words in the process too, but we will keep this blog rated G for the most part.

In the end, though, I really enjoyed making this jacket. It is not perfect by any means, but neither am I. It was a labor of love and creativity that reflects my nature-loving spirit.

1 Comment

  1. Espirational says:

    What a beautiful coat! Congratulations on a job well done!

    Like

Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s